Monday, September 28, 2009

ERIC/WorldCat Database Search

How should one go about conducting a search to retrieve the most relevant records to a query? For my ISAR course I will take you step-by-step on my search using WorldCat and Eric databases through the Texas Woman’s University Library website.


In this case, I will be searching on the topic of library services and their trends in public libraries. I chose this topic because it interests me and I have a collaborative paper on this topic that I and group members are working on for another course. With the help of an outline our group has created for our paper, I have some knowledge of the topic and the direction of my search. As mentioned earlier, for my searches I used both Eric and WorldCat databases.


ERIC DATABASE
Performing my first search using Eric database, I used “library services”[abstract] and “public library” [subject]. Utilizing the advanced search, I entered the phrase “library services” and selected [abstract] as my index. I also wanted to results to include “public library”, and did so by selecting the Boolean operator [and] and by selecting [subject]. This retrieved 5,125 records or hits using these two phrases and the Boolean operator.


To refine my search to include only recent publications, I chose to refine my search by limiting my results to the publication year of 2009. This was selected to obtain the most current information. This gave me a refined total of 5 records!
Among the 5, I chose this record:

Imagine, Invent, Program, Share: A Library-Hosted Computer Club Promotes 21st Century Skills

Author: Myers, Brian Source: Computers in Libraries v29 n3 p6-9, 38-40 Mar 2009 (7 pages) Doc. Type: Article (EJ) Accession No: EJ831235 Libraries Worldwide: 2394 TEXAS WOMAN'S UNIV LIBR See more details for locating this item
WorldCat DATABASE

In my search using the WorldCat database, I used “library services”[title] and “public library” [keyword]. Utilizing the advanced search, I entered the phrase “library services” and selected [title] as my index. I also wanted to results to include “public library”, and did so by selecting the Boolean operator [and] and by selecting [keyword]. This retrieved 3,956 records or hits using these two phrases and the Boolean operator.

To narrow down the results, I limited the search to include results with the publication year 2009 and “library services” in the abstract. This retrieved 29 records, but none were relevant to my topic of interest.


Instead, I changed the phrase “library services” to “library program”. Subject field was used for library program, and same field was used for public library [keyword]. This pulled a list of 218 records. I limited the search to just records with the publication year of 2009; this retrieved a total of 2 records!


Among the 2, I chose:

Library programs online : possibilities and practicalities of Web conferencing /
Author: Peters, Thomas A., 1957- Publication: Santa Barbara, Calif. : Libraries Unlimited, 2009, Document: English : Book
Libraries Worldwide: 11

No comments:

Post a Comment